Sunday, December 9, 2007

Wheat!


I just finished bringing my wheat over into secondaries. I racked half of it to a bucket and added 4 cans of black pitted cherries in syrup (not pie filling). The other half I brought to a carboy. I'm curious to see what the cherry does, I am imagining the sugars in the cherries are going to reactivate the yeast, and I'll see some more activity. I'm going to let that bucket sit for a while, maybe another couple of weeks, before I do anything with it. The wheat, I may put on tap once my MBC IPA is gone.
I tasted the wheat and it is going to taste pretty good. Right now it's still yeasty tasting, but it's going to have a very light, slightly sweet taste to it.. right now I'll call it a light wheat. Can't wait for both of them! The good thing is, this batch I purchased from Things Beer in Webberville, it cost a whopping $21.00. So, if I botch up the cherry, I'm not out all that much. Pretty cool - 5 gallons of beer for just over twenty bucks! I'll post the results later.

4 comments:

Rob said...

kegged the first half of the regular wheat last night. I'm going to force carb it today, and tap into it this weekend. woohoo :)

Rob said...

Just tasted the wheat and I'm impressed, it turned out really good. It's making me think of the possibilities of experimenting with this wheat, it was so inexpensive, I'm going to try a few things. A winter wheat, an orange, raspberry.. mm. Should be interesting!

Rob said...

Racked the cherry wheat to a 3rd - tasted it. Very good flavor. The cherry really comes through in the after taste right now. Very nice color to it, almost like a red wine.
Will let it sit for another week, or until a keg opens up - then, in the keg it goes.

Rob said...

I might add a note about the regular wheat. A friend was over, and tasted the beer after it had been sitting out in a growler all evening. He said he tasted a bit of a vinegar taste, but he still liked it. It actually did. We poured more cold, and the vinegar-ness was present, but you really had to think about it to taste it. I looked it up, and a vinegar taste can be caused by a bacteria infection (something not sanitized right. Cold though, this beer really tasted good. I kicked back and had two pitchers of it today, and, to be honest, it was fabulous - I'd have chosen this over a labatts today. I couldn't really taste the vinegar today, but did the other day. Not sure if it's the heat/light that got to it, or what. Anyhow - bottoms up on this last swallow of it - on comes the cherry wheat - which i'll keg up tomorrow or Wednesday - to be tapped on NY-eve.