Monday, December 31, 2007

More than beer in the DRB!


Whenever I go to Adventures in Homebrewing, I like to look at the soda syrup aisle. There's several flavors and instructions on how to make your own soda. Because I don't have the keg capacity right now to hold a root beer or other kind of soda, I decided to try a small batch. I googled around, and sure enough found a really easy recipe, that anyone can do from things around the house.
Here's the recipe:

Take an empty 2 liter bottle (they say to avoid glass) and a funnel. Fill the bottle with 1 cup of sugar, and a 1/4 tsp of baking yeast. Shake this around.
Add your extract. You'll see the right kind of root beer extract to use on the link at the end of this post. I used orange extract - 1 tbs. of it.

Next, you half fill up the 2 liter with water, and shake it around to mix up all of the sugar/yeast/extract.

I filled up the rest of the 2 liter with water, then added some food coloring to make it orange, and a small cap full of vanilla extract to add (hopefully) a creamy flavor to the orange.

Next, they suggest letting the soda sit for a few days, until the bottle feels hard. Refrigerate and serve after chilling one night. I'll post back how this turns out. The only drawback, from what I've read, is the chance of an explosion from possibly adding too much yeast/sugar. I'm going to move this to my brew box (a plastic tub I keep in my den with beer bottles in it - just in case of a mishap - less mess!).
How to brew your own root beer - link here (very detailed instructions with pictures).

No comments: