Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Dayton Road Brewing Christmas Ale


I decided to force carbonate my Christmas Ale and sample it. I'll attempt to do an unbiased review with this sample. I think most brewers will love their beer no matter what, so, I'll do my best to take a step back while judging this.
Some of this may change I suppose, because of the immaturity of the beer. It was only kegged on Sunday, so there is obviously more settling that has to be done.



Dayton Road Brewing - Christmas Ale - Release Date: 12.21.07

The immediate appearance of the beer is a deep golden copper color, a bit cloudy but gives the appearance of a good hardy beer. A very nice solid 1/4 inch head (still working on the keg pressure), creamy off white in color that has sustained it's shape for quite a while.
The aroma is tough to guess right now. I can smell a creamy spicy ginger/cinnamon smell, with a hint of orange.
This beer has a creamy feel, and a bit of a warming finish, like sipping a brandy.
A very spicy tasting beer, almost desert like. Has a bit of a sweetness to it, but definitely not overwhelming. A light hop finish to it, again, a definite winter-spice warmer.
Overall, and like I said, I brewed it, but, I really honestly like it. When I tasted it during kegging/bottling, my first comment was - oh man, this will be a one glass a night beer. But, since it's settled some and is carbonated, I've changed my mind. I'm thoroughly pleased with the outcome of this, and I know from past experience, it will only get better.
Now.., throw out a plate of sugar cookies (no frosting), and Santa and I are going to have a good ol' time in the D.R.B Christmas Eve. :)

Special thanks to Michigan Brewing Company - Things Beer for the recipe/ingredients. Thanks to Trent (my boss) for the awesome Tecumseh, MI honey used in the batch.

No comments: