Sunday, December 2, 2007

My road, my house, my garage.. the brewery


Well, as fictitious and as fun as it sounds, we technically have a brewery. My neighbor and I, new to making our own beer, have been exploring the vast world of ideas with home brewing beer.

My first beer was a Brewers Best Robust Porter. I had some issues with the kegs I was using, but the beer brewed up decent. It tasted a bit syrupy and bitey. Not bad though. Could have used some time to age I think.
Scotts first beer was a Double Hopped Pilsner. Scott brewed it and we bottled the whole batch. It turned out great.
I hosted a batch of the Sept/Oct batch of the Double IPA from River Raisin Brewing in Dundee, MI. They supply the 5 gallon batch of wort. Great stuff.
My next beer, or first real beer was an E.S.B. Bryan and Jackson helped me brew this batch. It came out tasting wonderful. So good, I'd almost brew it again as a session beer. A bit thick, malty and a good solid bite to the finish. Awesome.
Scott and I made it up to the Dearborns Adventures in Homebrewings "teach a friend to brew day". We hung out with guys doing the "all grain" process of brewing. We were amazed and began tallying up the new items we needed to purchase. haha - we're saving our pennies.
Scott decided to brew up the Cream Orange beer AHB made last summer. This is one of the best beers ever, we're considering a 10 gallon batch for August.
I brewed up and have been aging a Christmas Ale. Spicey and very tasty with cinnamon, clove, orange and other spices.
Today we bottled both. The Orange to sit for a couple of weeks, the Christmas to sit for a month.
The same Sunday evening (12/2/07) we brewed a Webberville Wheat from Things Beer. We met some guys at the register, who told us to consider adding cherries to the wheat. They twisted my arm, so we discussed the recipe. By new years, the DRB will have a Cherry Wheat on tap.

That's a quick run down on the beginnings and current news of Dayton Road Brewing. We're really just learning and experimenting with beer brewing at this point. Having a good time doing it too. We figured we would have a little more fun by naming our beer and making a bar for our friends to taste the experiments.

Keep an eye on the blog. We have some good ideas and will be having various gatherings as beers are complete or hosted.

DRB Quote: "There is beer after Bud Light." -Scott, Dayton Rd.

No comments: