Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weekend brewday - 2 batches

My goal today was to finish two batches of beer by Noon-1PM so my wife could go shopping. I didn't even set my alarm, but was up by 5AM. Some coffee and by 6AM I was out running a 12 miler in some glorius 15 degree weather. I finished up around 7:30AM, hung out with the kid for a while, and around 8:30AM got started. It was still pretty cold out, so I heated up the garage and got moving with the brewday.
I have a bunch of German Wheat grains left, and had some 2-Row, so I decided to make another Gumball Head clone. I only did a 5 gallon batch, so I split the recipe listed on this blog here (click here). The only difference this time was, I used US-05 Saf Ale dry yeast. I didn't feel like going shopping at all for these batches, so I just used what I had around.

The second batch, is kind of a hodge podge. I've been trying to use up some hops, as well as use a free pack of yeast Adventures in Homebrewing gave me on the Teach a Friend to Brew day. It's a year old Euro Ale Wyeast. I made a starter, and it was a bit slow to take off, but eventually it did and went nuts. Some of my brew friends have been making English Milds lately, so I've kind of been craving it. I liked the mild I made last year, but it was a pretty basic plain beer. I wondered what a mild would taste like, with a heavy IPA hop schedule to it. Well, I'm going to find out! Here's the recipe:

Mild Pale Ale
7lb. American 2-Row
3 lb. Maris Otter (had some to use up)
.41 lb. Crystal 80
.38 lb. Crystal 120
.25 lb. Chocolate
.10 lb. Black

Hops:
60 min. 1.25 oz. Magnum 12.1%
10 min. 1 oz. Cascade 5.4%
10 min. 1 oz. Centennial 8.7%
0 min. .50 oz. Cascade 5.4%
0 min. .50 oz. Centennial - 8.7%

Yeast: Wyeast 1338 Euro Ale
OG: 1.064
FG: ??
Estimated ABV: 5.4%

I finished shortly after 1PM and am now officially whooped! I also racked the barley wine to a carboy and put it to bed for a year. I can see activity in both of the beers already. Am looking forward to both of them!

1 comment:

Rob said...

I should add - the hoppy english mild came out awesome. The kegs gone already, it was that good. :)