Saturday, December 12, 2009

Brown Shugga Barley Wine


This has got to be one of my favorite beers. Beer Advocate calls this beer an American Strong Ale. I sat there sipping one a month or so ago, and decided I HAD to brew this one, or at least something similar.
I can't even remember now where I got the recipe, but I compared it to others, and it kind of fits into the barley wine category, even by BJCP style standards. Regardless, I decided to brew it - but gear mine more toward a huge barley wine. Here's the recipe:

16 lb. American 2-Row
3.80 lb. American Wheat
1 lb. Munich
1/2 lb. Crystal 80
.30 lb. Crystal 120
.32 lb. dark brown sugar

Hops:
90 min - 1.55 oz. Willamette 4.8%
45 min - 1.40 oz. Willamette 4.8%
45 min - .40 oz. Magnum 12.1%
1 min. - .80 oz. Centennial 8.7%
1 min. - .40 oz. Cascade 5.4%
1 min. - .20 oz. Magnum 12.1%
DH - - .75 oz. Cascade 5.4%
DH - .75 oz. Centennial 8.7%
DH - .75 oz. Willamette 4.8%

Yeast: 1028 London Ale
OG: 1.107
FG: 1.018
ABV: 12.1%

The beer tastes pretty awesome. I had planned on throwing it on tap right away, but instead am going to age it for quite sometime. Maybe, if I can do it, until next holiday season. I'll keep you posted if I can last that long. :)

2 comments:

Rob said...

Aged this over a year and added an ounce of oak chips for about 10 days (brought small amount of water to a boil and threw the chips in, cut the heat and let them sit for 15 minutes..added the full water/chips to the secondary).

Bottled on 11/29/10. Holy shit does it taste awesome. You can taste the brown sugar somewhat, the oak came out perfect.. Very great beer, definite sipper. Can't wait for it to be carbonated.
Also - added a pinch of yeast during bottling.

Unknown said...

Glad you found the Brown Shugga image on the Fatty Matty Brewing website. You can also follow the recent activity of Fatty Matty Brewing on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/wisconsinhops Cheers! and brew on!