Monday, June 28, 2010

Citra-Rillo IPA (AHA Big Brew Day Batch)

Edit: adding to this post that, this is by far one of the very best beers I've ever made. Save this recipe, it's freaking amazing! Great citrus burst of hops with a refreshing low malt finish. WOW. (6.30.10)

A couple posts back, I posted on an IPA I made for the new kids arrival. During the process of making that beer, I screwed up a bit. I had wrote down the wrong grain bill and ended up replacing honey malt grains for Munich. Once I figured out what I did, I re-ground grains for that batch, and set the honey malt grains aside thinking I'd give the bag of grains away or toss them.

After a lot of research, everyone (of course) told me to "Relax, have a homebrew and brew it anyway.." Since I didn't have anything else prepared for Big Brew Day, I decided on using these grains for an IPA. I've been loving the Citra hops lately, so I picked some up along with some Amarrillo's and brewed this IPA on the lawn of Harbor Inn & Ale. For those of you that weren't there, this beer was chilled and carboy'd in about 15 minutes, as I had received "THE" phone call that my wife was in labor!

Citra-Rillo India Pale Ale

Fermentables:
11 lb. 2-Row
2 lb. Honey Malt
.50 lb. C-40
.50 lb. Wheat

Hops:
1 oz. Magnum 12.2% - 60 min.
1 oz. Citra 11.1% - 30 min.
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8.6% - 10 min.
1/2 oz. Citra 11.1% - 10 min.
1/2 oz. Amarillo 8.6 % - 5 min.
1/2 oz. Citra 11.1% - 5 min.
1 oz. Amarillo 8.6% - 0 min.
1/2 oz. Citra 11.1% - 0 min.
1 oz. Citra 11.1% - Dry Hopped
1 oz. Amarillo 8.6% - Dry Hopped

Yeast:
WLP001 - California Ale (starter)

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.008
ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 103.2

This beer is a hop bomb. I've kegged it but have only tasted it during transfer and as you can imagine, it tastes amazing. All the worrying I did about the honey malt making this too sweet - not even a problem. Looking forward to sitting down to a cold carbonated pint. Once some space in the fridge clears, I'll be putting this one on tap.. hopefully soon!!

No comments: