Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Belgian Summer Ale

I saved the yeast from my Belgian Pale, made a starter with it and decided to make a light Belgian White ale with it. Typically, white's use a "wit" yeast, but i really liked the flavor of the pale, and thought it would work well in a wit. It fermented out well and tastes wonderful. I probably could have upped the spices just a bit, but it's nice and light and has some nice light citrus spice flavors to it. I dug around and sort of used most of the ingredients in an Alligash White clone. I'm debating on when to put this on tap, it's ready, I just have run out of keg space.. a great problem to have! :)

Fermentables
6.75 lb. German Pilsner
4.25 lb. Wheat
.75 lb. Cara Vienna

Hops
1 oz. Golding 5.5% - 60 min
1/2 oz. Willamette - 4.5% - 60 min
1/2 oz. Willamette - 4.5% - 1 min

Spices
.30 oz - Coriander
.30 oz. Ginger
.30 oz. Orange peel
(all added at knock out)

Yeast
Wyeast 3655 Belgian Schelde

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.007
ABV: 6.4%

No comments: