Wednesday, March 31, 2010

DRB Scottish Export 80/-


I really try to blog my beers before they are gone, but this one was kind of a surprising exception. I made this beer, along with the West Coast Stout for St. Pat's day. The last 3 St. Pats days, I made a Scottish, an Amber and a Red.. I decided this year I'd go back to a Scottish Ale, only this would be my first all grain.. (yes, I understand Scottish Ale's aren't exactly St. Pat style beers.. but come on, it's kind of close!)...

After this beer was finished, I was a bit disappointed. I tasted the West Coast Stout first, and really enjoyed the big hop presence it had. Then, tasting the Scottish Ale, it was a real big malt bomb.

Come the Sunday before St. Pats, after the Detroit Parade, some friends stopped by and guess what beer went first? Within a few hours, 5 gallons of the Scottish Ale had disappeared. Rave reviews! I think I'll be making this one again next year.

Scottish Export 80/-

Fermentables
9.50 lb UK Pale Ale Malt
0.75 lb US Caramel 40L Malt
0.50 lb US Munich 10L Malt
0.50 lb Canadian Honey Malt (Gambrinus)
0.50 lb German Wheat Malt
0.25 lb US Caramel 90L Malt
0.19 lb US Chocolate Malt

Hops
1.3 oz. Kent Golding - 60 min.

Yeast - SafAle05 (dry)

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.009
ABV: 6.1%

Oh yeah, and the picture of the dogs? Who knows. I was downtown Detroit after running a 5k and visiting Slows BBQ for a pint or two, and thought the dogs were picture worth.

No comments: