Monday, February 15, 2010

DRBPA - Dayton Road Brewing Pale Ale


One thing I've learned about brewing is not to rush things. When I first started, I would brew, then literally sit and stare at the carboy day after day. Since, I just brew a bunch more, so I don't really mind some taking longer than others. Plus, as the saying goes... good things come to those who wait.

For kicks, I thought I would try a quick turn around beer, just to see if it was possible. I picked a fairly easy recipe and opted for a packet of dry yeast. This beer took a total of about 2 weeks or about 12 days.
DRBPA (Dayton Road Brewing Pale Ale)

Fermentables
10.90 lb - US 2-Row Malt
0.75 lb - Belgian Caramel Munich Malt 40
0.50 lb - US Caramel 40L Malt
0.50 lb - US Caramel 20L Malt
0.50 lb - German Wheat Malt

Hops
1 oz. - US Magnum - 60 min.
.50 oz. - US Centennial - 10 min.
.50 oz. - US Cascade -10 min.
2 oz. - US Cascade - 0 min.
.50 oz. - US Centennial - 0 min.

Yeast
Safe-ale US05

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.011

I should have made a starter, because this took a bit to start. But it did ferment out in about a week and a half. I put this right in the keg, and chilled it. Carb'd it the next day and we were enjoying it the Saturday before the Super Bowl. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Right now, it's a bit too sweet for me and unbalanced. I'm letting it sit for a bit and will go back to it another day. It's not bad, just like I said, pretty sweet. I'm thinking due to all the caramel malts I used.
The picture above is a growler full of it at a Super Bowl party. The color was gorgeous, I just had to take a picture. :)

1 comment:

Rob said...

commenting to say, this beer came out pretty sucky. It had a bit of a sweetness to it, with a bubble gum type smell. There was some other off flavors, I think from the hops. I learned a few things

1. I'm not going to brew again until I have fermentation temperature controls (my off flavors were caused by high heat fermenting - 68-70 is much too high for an ale).

2. Strain the hops. I'm not for sure saying that there was an issue with the hops in the fermenter, but it did have a strange after taste, I couldn't quite pin point it, but for the future, I'm going to do a better job at hop straining to fermentation).

3. The keg went fast, so some people liked it! Most of my friends dug it. When I pointed out the after taste, they may have noticed, but continued to enjoy it. I had a request to brew this beer for a party already. I'll definitely make it better - if I do it again. :)