Saturday, February 9, 2008

80 Shilling Scottish Ale

Had another brew day today. This recipe was quite simple. Grains, malt extract and an ounce of Kent Goldings hops. The brew went well - the thermometer I tried out this time was one of those that you set the temperature, and an alarm goes off when it hits it. Worked pretty good - but it went kind of crazy when I was chilling the beer. I had to resort to my back up thermometer. I probably chilled the beer a little too much, but it ended up being around 172 in the carboy - which is perfect for pitching the yeast.
The original gravity came out at 1.040. The recipe says it's supposed to be at 1.045 - so I'm not too concerned. Hopefully by tomorrow morning I'll be kicking back on the sofa hearing the bubbling action from the kitchen.

6lb. liquid malt extract
10 oz 60 L Crystal, 1 oz Roasted Barley, 4 oz Aromatic
1 oz Kent Goldings (bittering)

I put the grain bag in a pot on my garage kerosene heater.. it's kind of like potpourri beer style.. haha. The only mistake I made today was knocking my empty glass off the table as I was filling my carboy - crash! oops. Lord knows I have enough of them. :)

2 comments:

Rob said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A288317

A nice guide to Scottish beer ratings (explains the shilling factor).

Rob said...

1.014 gravity - second reading. Will take another reading before I keg.
If this is right, the beer will be about 3.354 %. Not what I expected, but good to know.